The Royal Conservatory was founded in 1886 as The Toronto Conservatory of Music. Its founder, Edward Fisher, was a young organist born in the United States. With the support of leading figures in Toronto society, The Conservatory officially opened in September 1887, located on two floors above a music store at the corner of Dundas Street and Yonge Street.
It was the first institution of its kind in Canada: a school dedicated to the training of singers and musicians, and also to instilling a love of music in young children.
The Conservatory grew at a rapid pace and in 1897 it purchased a new property at College Street and University Avenue to accommodate its expansion.
As The Conservatory's reputation for its professional training, national examination system, and faculty of distinguished musicians continued to grow, it became one of the dominant musical institutions in Canada.